Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Mechanical

Written By:Fireflamesinferno
You can read the original here:
All credit goes to the original author

“Blondie, where the hell’d you go?”

If her friggin’ nasty scent wasn’t smothered all over the mansion, I may have had a fighting chance at finding the Cullen’s resident Ice Queen. But unfortunately, wolf instincts come with a little side effect known as overwhelming of the senses. And considering Blondie had clearly made an effort to speed all over the house when she heard me approaching, solely for the purpose of masking her current location…

I stood in the middle of the living room, absently kicking the perfect white couch, probably denting the thing. The scent of sickly sweet amaretto and burnt wood swirled in the air, swelling strongly in every corner. Crap. I couldn’t catch the freshest trail with my gag reflex going.

It didn’t help that she was home alone.

The Cullen clan had left the day before on a hunting trip to Canada. And Bella decided to take Nessie with them. I wasn’t feeling entirely too pleasant about that in the first place, but the fact that they weren’t back yet was really bugging the crap out of me. I had spent all morning patrolling the woods, to no avail. They weren’t back yet, like Bella had said they would be. And that just plain sucked.

I had put up a huge fight about Nessie going in the first place. Bella wouldn’t hear it. She has mother superiority over imprinted soul mate, I guess. And she did say they would be back earlier that morning. But no, they weren’t. So I tried to find their trail. I tried their cell phones (who carries cells when hunting?) I even left a couple nasty voicemails that were sure to get me a couple well placed kicks to my shins. I had exhausted every research, and all before lunch, too.

So, tail tucked between my legs, I ran to the Cullen mansion, a man in need.

Why was Rosalie still here anyway? Why wasn’t she off hunting with her darling hulk and family? It was a conundrum, especially given her obsessive attachment to Ness.

Not that I cared.

“Damn it, Blondie, if you don’t come out from whatever slimy rock you’re cowering under, I swear I’m going to dent your BMW. Nice, big ol’ dent right in the middle of that shiny red hood.”

Nothing. Again.

She really enjoyed screwing with me. I stalked off to the garage, winding through the kitchen to the adjoining door. “I’m doing it!”

Kicking down the door seemed dramatic enough, so I did just that. The wood splintered open, hanging limply off the broken hinges. The sweet aroma of gas and grease and fresh wax wafted out of the room, putting up an effort to mask the obvious swell of amaretto and burnt wood that filled the whole damn house. I finally was able to breathe a little in comfort.

Stalking over to the crimson beauty that was nestled next to the Wrangler, I paused. I loved cars. And the M3 was a gorgeous little European piece. Smashing the hood in could break a little part of my heart, even though Ness basically owned the whole sha-bang.

I stood deliberating over that fact for a moment, long enough to note that the smell of something foul was especially strong here. “Barbie, come out, come out, wherever you are…”

With a snarl and the sound of rolling wheels, half of her emerged from underneath the BMW on a mechanic’s cart.

“Something wicked this way comes.” I smirked, crossing my arms over my chest. “I knew you couldn’t bear to part with your precious car’s perfection. God forbid you drive something crapped up.”

“What do you want, mongrel?”

It was all she said, and her glare looked as though it could cut right through me. Not that it could. Healing fast had its way with evil women.

I hated, no, loathed to admit it, but she looked sort of freaking hot. Her honey blonde hair was normally abnormally perfect. Because she lay across the cart, her hair was splayed out in a tangled halo. There was a small grease smudge on her right cheek, directly across from her beauty mark. She wore an especially grungy V-neck tee, one marked with even more grease spots. Unfortunately, it was damn sexy.

Of course, I immediately crushed these thoughts. She may have been gorgeous, but she was the devil in an angel’s body. Who smelled bad.

“Y’know, Barbie, when I said the whole slimy rock thing, I didn’t really think you’d be somewhere filthy. The apocalypse must be on the way. Your hair’s dirty.”

“Do you actually have a reason to be here or do you just need a break from the fleas?” She sneered at me, dropping a grimy rag on the cement. With a graceful kick, she rolled completely out and shifted to a sitting position on the cart.

I wrinkled my nose. Now I could smell her perfectly. Amaretto wouldn’t have been bad if it wasn’t mixed strongly with the smell of burning, smoke, and overly sweet almond. The concoction was absolutely disgusting. I couldn’t fathom how the hulk bloodsucker could stand to be near her.

“Yeah, they do itch.” I ran a hand through my unruly hair and scratched it fiercely. I heard her hiss in disgust. “Now, as much as I would love to give my new blonde joke a run, I kind of have this problem.”

“Hm. Don’t care.” She stood up in one fluid motion, like she was liquid. Stalking over to the drool worthy tool chest in the garage’s corner, she began fishing through a drawer.

“Yeah, you do. Where the hell’s Ness? Bells said they’d be back by now.” I crossed between the leech’s Volvo and Doc’s Mercedes to stop a few paces from her.

Rosalie’s facial expression remained visibly unchanged to the human eye as she continued to fish through a vast collection of wrenches. I noticed, however, that her jaw line tightened ever so slightly beneath that flawless, ivory skin.

“Don’t know.” She lifted up a hefty wrench, observed it for a moment, and then replaced it, taking another one instead. “And, even if I did,” she turned around with a wicked smirk crossing her full lips, “What makes you think I’d tell you?”

What a freaking bitch. Not gonna lie, I was sick of her attitude. I drew dangerously closer. Anger made my muscles tense tightly. I practically had to restrain myself from taking a swing at her perfect little face. And she was little.

I suddenly felt very side tracked by her proximity. Realizing I had never noticed how tiny she was in proportion to me, I felt even more bravado to prod the sleeping beast within. My hand slammed the drawer she had been fishing through shut, and I leaned forward, snarling in her face. “Why are you still here, Ice Queen?”

“None of you business, pup.” She hissed back just as vehemently, shifting to the right, moving away from my hold on the tool chest. My other arm shot out, efficiently trapping her against the chest. It was too hot in the garage, and I was beginning to feel very pissed off.

“Nah, I think it is. You won’t tell me where they are or what they’re doing.” She shrunk back against the chest, but her golden eyes challenged me, not unlike a wildcat. Or a wildfire. Anything that would freaking rip me to shreds at the snap of a finger. “So if I can’t know why they’re not back yet,” I continued, daring her to strike me, “Then I want to know why the hell you’re here.”

She lifted the small wrench she had been holding and shoved it against my chest like a pointer. Hard. The thing dug into my pecs like hell. “Read my lips, fleabag. None. Of. Your. Business.”

“Is it the jealousy thing about Ness, Blondie? Because, frankly, that’s becoming a little outdated.” She didn’t flinch, but I could see her eyes darkening with a color that looked almost red. Point for me. “Or, hey, I got one for you.” I smiled cockily, denting the tool chest slightly with my fist. “Did you just want to get me alone?”

She hissed at that, like a rabid cat, and the wrench hit the floor with a loud clang. “You wish, filthy mutt.”

I chuckled slightly, knowing I was close to an answer. For a brief moment, I studied her. Her harsh features were intensely fierce and edged with fury. She looked like she was seriously considering ripping out my throat. I wondered if I was pushing it way too far. But the smell of amaretto burnt wood was too strong and the way she sniffed at me derisively nudged me over the edge. “Oh, I know. Bet it’s marital problems. The Incredible Hulk not doing it for you?”

Before I could even fully vocalize the last word, I suddenly found myself slammed against the garage door, my spine bending awkwardly at the metal bracing, and a very tightly clenched fist around my throat. Rosalie stood before me, her eyes a pulsing, dark amber. Her teeth were bared and her chest heaved with hatred, despite the fact that she didn’t need to breathe.

I was highly disturbed that I actually found the whole look really hot. Like, really damn hot. She stared at me for a moment, severely contemplating an attempt at killing me. She wasn’t really strangling me yet, but I could see the lust for it in her eyes.

I became aware that my pulse was pounding with hot blood, and that I too was snarling, ever so slightly. The entire moment was so very animalistic, and freaking on edge. I considered making the move for her and jumping her in wolf form. “Try me, Blondie. Just try me.”

“Don’t you ever talk about Emmett and me again. Ever.” She squeezed my throat in emphasis, causing my veins to flood with even more throbbing. So there really was trouble in Cullen land. Wow, I hadn’t actually meant to hit her in the gut like that. But geez, how was I supposed to know? And at that point, I was so pissed at her anyways, and the garage was just so damn burning that it didn’t faze me that much.

I saw her gaze briefly flicker to my jugular, watching the pulse of blood there as she dug her perfectly manicured nails around it. I wasn’t about to pass up her moment of distraction.

With equal speed and force, I whipped her around by her arm and flipped her against the wall. Just as swiftly, I had her arms pinned above her head in one fist hold. I planted the other hand next to her head pressed my leg forward to keep her pinned. “Gonna suck my blood, leech? Go ahead, I’ll let you have a taste.” I offered my neck to her, thrusting my head over her should and against the wall.

It was then, that I became acutely aware of our position: her silken lips barely gracing my throat, my leg firmly planted between her splayed thighs, her chest still heaving against mine. Her frozen wrists suddenly felt scorching. I breathed against the cement wall, taking in her aroma. It suddenly occurred to me that it wasn’t exactly her smell that was disgusting, just the overwhelming intensity of it. Amaretto burnt wood wasn’t half bad. In fact, the scent was utterly wild. I forced myself to draw back ever so slightly, pulling away from those heavenly, unmoving lips. I look her straight in the eye. “What, no takers?”

She didn’t respond, and I realized she too was fully aware of the situation at hand. And not opposed to it. Which just about floored me. It was just so…so wrong. Her gaze was no longer infuriated. It was intrigued. Pissed off, definitely. But scared. Thrilled. Hazardous. Turned on.

I didn’t know what to do. Without ever drifting from her hard gaze, I hesitantly brought my right hand off the wall and placed it on the side of her hip. I pulled her flush against me and was too pleased to hear her make a small thrumming noise in the back of her throat. Slowly, I let my hand explore forbidden, frozen territory. She was a secret tundra, one I hadn’t realized how bad I wanted to survey until right then. Her stomach was flat, but strong. Her sides were so perfectly curved, but small enough for my large hand to encompass. I flitted past her breast to her collar bone, not brave enough to linger. Even if she would have let me, which I wasn’t entirely sure she would be opposed to.

Finally, I cupped her cheek and ran my thumb over her perpetually red, full mouth, feeling the crease in the top and the pillowy bottom. Oh, how bad I wanted to kiss her. How terribly, freaking bad. When I moved my hand back to cup the back of her head and feel her hair, I saw her tongue flit out and lick her lips slightly. Oh geez, that was just too much.

And suddenly, the boiling heat in my stomach turned to guilt and shame and something entirely too monstrous for me to comprehend. Damn, I wanted her. But we couldn’t. We shouldn’t. I couldn’t do that to Ness. To Emmett. To Bella. It was like driving a wedge straight between Rose and her family. I couldn’t do that to the Ice Queen, or to the rest of them. I didn’t love Rose, that was for sure, but I couldn’t screw with her life just because of some sort of sexual tension thing we had going. She needed to work out her own crap, and I didn’t need to add to the issue. We would never work out.

I leaned forward and kissed her forehead. The action was all I needed to tell her exactly what was going on in my head. She sighed with disappointment, strangely. “Damn it.”

“I know, right?”

Her chuckle rumbled deeply into my chest. Wow. She laughed. And not in a mocking way. She genuinely laughed at something I said. I smiled against her cold forehead. “Would have been damn good fun.”

She nodded slightly, and moved her hands from my relaxed hold. Placing one hand against my chest, she looked me in the eye, serious. “What are we going to do about…this?

“No clue.” I sighed miserably. Oh damn, how I just wanted to kiss her. And do other things with her. “Not think about it in front of Edward and make a point of never being alone together?”

“That’s a start.” She toyed with the rim of my wife beater, her face slightly darkening. “And I need to fix things with Emmett.”

My stomach dropped. Damn, so I had been right on target. Good job, Jake. Be the asshole. We had to get over this. I knew she loved him. “And maybe be friends? Because it couldn’t kill us.”

She laughed again, which made me grin. I liked that sound a lot. Maybe I should focus more on being nice. Rosalie sniffed again, raising a statuesque brow. “Yeah it could. You still smell like a wet dog.”

Scratch that. Blonde jokes galore for the next twenty years.

No comments:

Post a Comment