Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Fate

Written by: xbellababiEex
You can read the original here:
All Credit goes to the original author

“I’ll love you forever, Isabella Swan,” he said to me, and I believed him – stupid mistake. Here I am now, sitting in a playground, watching my daughter play in the sandbox with the other children. I hated thinking about my high school years; the friends I made, the love I lost. Sighing, I felt someone tap me on my leg.

“Mommy, look at my new friend,” my daughter, Gabriella, said. She was holding a little girl’s hand that had bronze hair and green eyes. She looked so familiar, but I couldn’t place my finger on it.

“My name is Marie,” she said shyly.

“Hi Marie, I’m Bella,” I said.

“My daddy talks about a Bella all the time,” she said and my heart suddenly dropped. No, it couldn’t be; I shook that thought out of my head; I was just paranoid.

“Well, Bella means beautiful in Italian. He probably calls you it all the time because your very pretty,” I said and she blushed. They ran toward the swings together and I rested my head in my hands. Why did memories of him have to ruin my days? I’m a happily married woman with a beautiful daughter. Well, maybe I’m not happily married, but I’m dealing with it. Jake isn’t home half the time and I’m stuck at home all alone with Gabriella, not that I mind, but it gets lonely. I’ve been having the strangest suspicions that Jake was cheating on me, but it was expected. I could never give my heart to him fully after it got broken, completely shattered in fact.

“Bella, we need to talk,” he said as he walked into my house.

“What’s wrong?” I asked. He seemed conflicted and frustrated.

“I think we should see other people.”

“Wh-What?” I stuttered in shock.

“I feel as if we’ve grown apart, Bella. I don’t deserve you; you could do so much better than me.”

“I don’t want to find someone better than you, I love you,” I said weakly.

“I know you do,” he said and kissed my forehead. He looked back at me as he stood in my doorway, and was about to close the door as I found my voice to talk.

“We’ve been together for two years, and now you think I deserve better than you? Fine, leave! I don’t need you anymore, I never did. I don’t understand why you’re doing this, but it’s your choice. Just remember, when you realize the mistake you made, don’t come running back because I won’t be here,” I said. When I finished, I heard the door shut and the sound of his silver Volvo’s engine starting.

I shook my head again, trying to stop all the painful memories from flooding into my head. He never explained why he left. The next day, he seemed so normal, so happy, while I was crying in every class and completely miserable. He’d steal glances my way, but never looked me in the eye. He knew what he did to me, and it had to have hurt him.

Obviously we moved on. He dated casually the rest of senior year while I focused on my studies so I could get a scholarship to any college that was far away from Forks, Washington. I needed to leave my past behind, and luckily I got accepted to Stanford, in California. He tried to contact me, but I ignored him. During college is when I met Jacob. He was sweet, funny, and completely in love with me, but I was never fully in love with him. Sure, I felt something for Jake, but it was never what I felt for him. Jake proposed at graduation and I said yes, and then we had Gabriella. I felt terrible saying yes that day while knowing I couldn’t fully love him and I was sure there’s someone out there better for him; I still feel terrible about it, which is why I’m planning on divorcing him and taking Gabriella. He’s a great father, but we’re still so young and he can find someone else without having to worry about her. We’re only 26 and I’m sure he’ll get over me quick enough, seeing how he’s cheating on me. That would bother most women, but I’ve been waiting for it.

I never did think like everyone else; I’m unique, as he called me.

“Let’s play hide-and-seek,” I said suddenly and grabbed his hand.

“Where are we going to play hide-and-seek, silly girl? It’s snowing out,” he said as he wrapped his arms around me from behind.

“We’ll play in here silly,” I said and laughed.

“Only you would think about playing hide-and-seek at two in the morning. You’re unique, Isabella Swan,” he said and kissed my cheek. “One of the reasons I love you.”

“I try, now let’s go!” I said as I started running out of the room, but stopped and turned around. I ran back towards him and kissed him sweetly on the lips. “I love you too”

I looked at my watch and noticed it was getting late and that I needed to get Gabriella home. I stood up and headed toward the slide, where I saw Gabriella and Marie playing.

“Sweetie, we should get going,” I said, and she pouted.

“But I’m having so much fun, Mommy!”

“I know, honey. Maybe you can have a play-date with Marie another day?” I offered and they both smiled.

“Let me go get my daddy,” Marie said as she ran toward the benches and I picked Gabriella up in my arms. I looked up and saw Marie and him walking toward me. No, it can’t be him, can it? Why would he be living in California of all places?

“Bella, this is my daddy. Daddy this is,” Marie said but he cut her off.

“Bella,” he said in his velvety voice that always made me melt. Edward.

“Edward,” I said curtly.

“How have you been?”

“Fine. Your daughter is beautiful; she looks just like you.”

“Thank you. So is Gabriella,” he said and looked down at Marie. “Why don’t you and Gabriella play for a minute while Daddy talks to Bella?”

“Okay!” Marie said and I let Gabriella down. When they ran away, Edward and I stood in an awkward silence.

“It’s been years,” he said.

“That is has. Who’s Marie’s mother?”

“Tanya Denali, but we’re divorced.”

“Oh, I’m sorry.”

“My heart wasn’t fully there,” he said and looked into my eyes. “Did you marry anyone from high school?”

“No. I met Jacob Black in college, but I’m planning on getting a divorce. My heart isn’t fully there, either,” I said and looked away.

“I’m sorry, Bella,” he suddenly said.

“For what, Edward; breaking my heart and leaving me unhappy for seven years? I married someone who I don’t fully love just because. You broke up with me for no reason; you never gave me an answer.”

“I didn’t want to ruin your life, Bella.”

“Well, you really saved me from that,” I said sarcastically.

“It seemed like the right thing to do at the time, but I was wrong. I was young and stupid, and I’ve regretted it for seven years. Do you think I’ve been happy? I married Tanya, she got pregnant and had Marie, and a year later we got divorced.”

“We could have been happy,” I said quietly.

“I think about what could have been all the time. I moved here so maybe we could meet again. Meeting like this must be fate, Bella.”

“I’m married, Edward,” I said. “Thing can’t go back to how they were. Sure, I’m planning on divorcing him, but that’s beside the point. It’s not high school anymore; I’m not going to come crawling back to you.”

“I never expected that,” he said and the girls came back to us.

“Mommy, I’m tired,” Gabriella said.

“Okay, Gaby, let’s go home,” I said and picked her up. “It was good seeing you again, Edward. Maybe we’ll see more of each other now that I know you’re in town and Gaby and Marie obviously want to be friends.”

“I’d like that. Goodbye, Bella,” he said and kissed my cheek before picking Marie off the ground and walking away. It’s amazing how fate works in strange ways.

“Mommy, how did you know Marie’s daddy?” Gabriella asked as we walked into our house. I helped her out of her coat and sighed, knowing I was going to have to answer her.

“He’s just an old friend, sweetie.”

“I think he likes you,” she said and I blushed. “And I think you like him too!”

“Okay, but don’t let Daddy know. Now, why don’t you go upstairs and play with your dollies while Daddy and I talk?”

“Sure, Mommy. Just tell Daddy to say bye before he leaves this time, please?” she asked and I nodded as tears formed in my eyes. I didn’t raise a stupid, ignorant daughter. Gaby knew what was going on between Jacob and I, without the actual details. She knew that he wasn’t going to be around too much anymore. I wiped the tears away and walked into the kitchen to get a drink and grab the divorce papers that I kept there. I heard the front door open and I took a deep breath. Now or never, Bella.

“Hi Bells,” Jake said as he walked in and kissed me on the cheek. “How was your day?”

“It was good. I took Gaby to the park and ran into an old friend. How was yours?”

“Same old,” he said and avoided eye contact, which meant that he was out with the girl he’s been seeing. He looked down and saw the stack of papers in my hand. “What’s that?”

“Um, divorce papers?” I said unsure of myself.

“What for?”

“I just think we’ll be better separated. I mean I’m not stupid, Jake. I know you’ve been cheating on me, and I haven’t said anything because I’ve been expecting it. I don’t want to say I regret marrying you because we’ve had some good times and we’ve raised an amazing daughter together, but I just wish I didn’t say yes when you proposed. I know I haven’t given you my whole heart because it’s just not there. I was heartbroken in high school and I never got over it.”

“So, what are we going to do about everything? I don’t want to fight with you, Bells, I care about you to much.”

“I was thinking of getting full custody of Gaby. Not because you’re a terrible father, because you’re a fantastic father. I just don’t want you to feel held back by a daughter; you’re still young, I mean, so am I, but I’m most likely not going to be on the dating scene, and plus your career doesn’t have the greatest hours. You would be able to see her whenever you wanted. You could call me that day and tell me you wanted to take her for the weekend without a problem. The only catch is she’d have to agree to it because you know how stubborn she is,” I said and smiled as he nodded.

“Okay. The house? The cars? All of the stuff we bought together?”

“Renee bought me an apartment in the Palazzo. We each bought separate cars, so that’s not a problem, and the apartment is fully furnished. You know Renee never does things halfway, so whatever’s here can stay.”

“Are you sure this is what you really want? We can make this work, Bella. I can change,” he said, but I shook my head.

“It’s better this way. Look, I still want to be friends because you’re the best friend I’ve had in a while. You were there for me during a hard time in my life and I can never repay you for it. I just want you to be happy and live the life you deserve with someone who loves you fully and wholly,” I told him as tears fell from my eyes. Jacob wiped them away as they fell and kissed my forehead.

“I met someone,” he said quietly and I opened my eyes. He looked ashamed, but I smiled, urging him to go on. “Her name is Leah. I met her at work. I’d really like for you to meet her one day, if that’s okay with you.”

“Yeah, I’d love to meet her, Jake,” I said and hugged him. “You do know that I love you still, just not in the romantic way.”

“The feelings mutual, Bells,” he said and laughed. “It’s was great while it lasted.”

“That it was. I’m going to move into the apartment today, since all my stuff and Gaby’s stuff is packed. The house is all yours,” I said. He got up from the table and grabbed his coat. “Make sure you say goodbye to Gaby. She knows what’s going on and she told me to tell you to say goodbye.”

“Okay,” he said and made his way downstairs. I laid my head on my arms as I let everything soak in. Once I hand these papers to my lawyer, I am single again. Jake came back downstairs, gave me one last kiss goodbye, and left. I picked up my cell phone and called someone who I haven’t spoken to in years.

Hello?” the familiar bell-like voice answered.

“Hi, is this Alice Masen?”

Well, it’s Alice Whitlock now, but yes. May I ask who’s calling?

“Ali, it’s Bella. Bella Swan, from high school,” I said and I heard the phone drop and a loud squeal. Alice was my best friend back in high school, and Edward’s sister. We stopped talking after graduation because it hurt to remember all the good times we had together, as a group, which included Edward.

“Bella! Oh my God! I can’t believe it’s you! Why haven’t you called to me in years!”

“I know, I’m so sorry. It just hurt too much. Are you in California with your brother by any chance?”

“How do you know my brother’s in California? And, yeah I am. I’m living in the Palazzo with Jasper, my husband. You remember him right?”

“Rose’s cousin? Yeah I do. Aw, you got married and I missed it? I’m so sorry, Ali,” I said and cried.

“I missed your wedding too, honey. I had a empty space on my bridal party for you,” she said and I heard her sniffle. “Why don’t you stop by so we can catch up?”

“I’m actually moving into the Palazzo with my daughter,” I said and she squealed again.

“You have a daughter?! Start moving right now! I have a business meeting in San Francisco so I will see you in two days!” she said and hung up. Gaby came down stairs and climbed into my lap.

“Mommy, why are you sad?” she asked as she wiped my face with her tiny hands.

“I’m okay, sweetie. Hey, why don’t we get all your stuff together so we can put them in your new room in our new house?” I said with false-excitement.

“Is Daddy going to be living with us now?” she asked and I shook my head. “Oh okay. I’ll be right down.”

I went upstairs to get my already packed boxes and started moving everything into my car. Gaby packed all her stuffed animals in the boxes I gave her, and all her clothes went into suitcases. I left Jake a note, telling him my new address, phone number, and whatever other information he would need. I buckled Gaby in and took one last look at the house I’ve spent the last few years of my life in raising a family. Sighing, I got in the car and drove out of the driveway to start a new chapter of my life.


“So, Gabs, how do you like your new room?” I asked after we finished moving everything in. It took us two days, but we were finally settled into our new home.

Jake called to make sure everything was all right and if we needed anything, but I said no. He said that he was going to dinner with Leah later, but if we needed anything, he’d change plans.

“I love it! It’s so pretty!” she said excitedly, which caused me to laugh. The doorbell rang, so I got up to answer it. Once I opened the door, someone launched their self at me and knocked me to the ground.

“Isabella Marie Swan! Never not contact me ever again!” the tiny person said, whom I soon realized was Alice. I got off of the floor and hugged her.

“I’m so sorry Ali! I hate that I missed so much of everyone’s lives,” I said and felt the tears start to form again. “Can we start somewhat fresh?”

“You’re still my best friend, Bella, no matter what,” she said and sniffed. I smiled at her and saw Gaby staring at us from the couch.

“There’s someone you need to meet. Gaby, come here,” I said and she ran by my side. “Gaby, this is Alice, my best friend. Alice, this is Gaby, my daughter.”

“It’s very nice to meet you, Gaby,” Alice said and shook her hand. “You know, I have a niece your age. I’m sure you two will be the best of friends!”

“If you’re talking about Marie, they already met,” I said and Alice’s eyes widened. “Oh, that’s a long story.”

“You know, Emmett is with Marie right now. Why don’t we let him come get Gaby so we can catch up? I’ll even call Rose over,” Alice suggested and I nodded. I squatted down so I could be eye-level with my daughter.

“Sweetie, you’re going to see Marie today! She’s with another one of my friends from high school. His name is Emmett and he looks really scary but he’s not at all, I promise,” I told her and she nodded excitedly before running into her room to get her jacket. I stood up and looked at Alice. “Are you sure Emmett’s going to be okay with this?”

“Bella, you were practically his little sister. Hell, he probably still considers you his little sister. You affected all of us by dropping off of the face of the Earth.”

“I know, and I can’t stop apologizing for it. It was so hard though, Alice. He literally broke my heart. I married a man I didn’t fully love because I didn’t think I was worthy after Edward broke up with me. It would have been too hard to keep talking to everyone because of all the memories attached to you guys.”

“I understand,” she said and grabbed my hand. “We’re all together again, like it’s meant to be. Everything will work out, trust me.”

“You still think you’re clairvoyant?” I asked and she nodded. “Some things never change.”

Alice and Gaby bonded for a little bit while we waited for Emmett, Rosalie, and Marie to show up. The doorbell rang, and yet again, I was swept up into a huge hug.

“Bells!” Emmett boomed and I laughed. He put me down and I looked up at him. He hadn’t changed one bit; he was still huge and muscular, but had that cute smile and dimples that made him so approachable. “Are you back for good?”

“Hi Emmett, and yeah I am. How are you?”

“Same old shit,” he said and Rose smacked him on the back of the head.

“Children, Emmett, children,” she said and shook her head. She came up to me and gave me a normal hug, and then punched my arm. “Never do that again, Isabella! You just left for college! No phone calls, no emails, not even a letter!”

“I’m so sorry,” I said and sobbed. The two of them hugged me and said it was okay. I pulled away and wiped my nose on my sleeve. I noticed that Marie and Gaby were talking animatedly on the couch already. “She doesn’t look a thing like Tanya,” I said to Rose and she agreed.

“Thank God. Marie is the girl version of Edward, practically. Tanya threw a fit when he wanted to name her Marie, since she knew about you.”

“Only I could be a home-wrecker without being physically there,” I said and rolled my eyes.

“Don’t even think like that. Their marriage was doomed from the start. I wish you were there when Esme and Carlisle found out. Oh good Lord, were there fireworks.”

“What happened?”

“Esme had a fit. She started screaming and freaking out, saying how Tanya wasn’t the one for him and that she didn’t approve. Carlisle stayed silent, but he didn’t approve of Tanya either. I remember Esme crying one night I was staying over, saying that it wasn’t supposed to happen like this and that you were supposed to be her daughter-in-law; that Edward had to be the stupidest piece of shit and she was ashamed to consider him her son. It was intense.”

“Oh my God,” was all I could say and Rose nodded. Gaby, Marie, and Emmett came up to us to let us know they were leaving. I kissed Gaby goodbye and reminded her to be good for Emmett. Once they were gone, Alice forced me on the couch for an interrogation.

“Who is Gaby’s father?”

“Jacob Black. I met him at Stanford. He was hopelessly in love with me and I only saw him as a friend, but when he proposed I just said yes and now we’re divorced.”

“Aw, sweetie,” Alice said. “How did you know my brother was in town?”

“I was at the park two days ago with Gaby and she met Marie there. They wanted to set up a play date, so Marie went to go get her father. Of course, with my luck, it ended up being Edward.”

“That would happen to you,” Rose said and Alice rolled her eyes.

“It’s meant to be for the two of you! Can’t you tell? Both of your children look like you. Gaby is the spitting image of you; I would think you had sex with yourself to have her! Plus, as we all know, Marie looks nothing like Tanya. Just get back together with my brother since you two obviously still have feelings for each other.”

“It’s not that simple Alice, as much as I wished it was. He broke up with me for no good reason except that he felt like we had grown apart and that I deserved much better. Oh, and that he didn’t want to ruin my life. Last time I checked, those aren’t legitimate reasons to break up with someone.”

“You mean he never told you?” she asked.

“Told me what?”

“Bella, he found out that the two of us were adopted by Carlisle and Esme because our birth parents didn’t want us. I handled it a lot better than he did, but it was hard. He felt as if he didn’t know who he was, even though Carlisle and Esme raised up since we were babies.”

“Why wouldn’t he just tell me? Why break up with me?”

“He didn’t want to hurt you because he cared about you. He felt it was best to push you away than to let you be there for him. I told him to tell you, but obviously he didn’t. He put the two of you through hell for years; he put all of us through hell.”

“I do still care about him,” I whispered lowly, but they heard me.

“Then go to him! He’s at his house, which is two blocks away,” Alice said and pushed me out the door.

“My car keys?” I asked.

“Quicker and easier if you run. Make a left on the corner and run two blocks. He’s the big, white brick house on the corner. You cannot miss it. Oh, and you heard me, run not walk,” she said and shut the door in my face.

I don’t think I’ve ever run so fast before in my life. Alice was right- you cannot miss his house. I took a deep, shaky breath and rang the doorbell. Edward opened the door, and he looked shocked that I was standing on his doorstep.

“Bella, why are you here? How do you know where I live?” he asked. Oh great, he must think I’m a stalker.

“Alice. I called her and I told her I was moving to the Palazzo, which is where she lives, and then she told me to come here. Edward, I still love you, after everything you put me through - after everything we put each other through. You should have told me what was going on, I would have helped you,” I said and started to cry. He pulled me into his arms and shut the door so his neighbors didn’t have to see our private moment.

“I know, and I’m so sorry. If I could take it back, I would,” he said as he smoothed my hair. I sobbed into his shirt as he just held me. “I was stupid, but I have you back now and I intend on making everything alright. I still love you too, always have, and always will.”

“Promise me that you’ll never just leave like that again. I survived through it once, but I don’t think I’ll be able to again.”

“I promise,” he said as he lifted my chin with his hands. I looked into his eyes and saw pure love and adoration. He leaned down and closed whatever space was between us to kiss me. I felt normal again, being in Edward’s arms and kissing Edward. I knew this was where I was meant to be for the rest of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment