Sunday, February 15, 2009

What if?

Written By: Tia Cullen
You can read the original here:
All Credit goes to the original author:

BPOV

“Jacob, give me the phone.” I demanded harshly then snatched it out of his hands.

“It’s Carlisle.” Jake informed me. “Tell him to tell his son to go to hell.” I hardly noticed the last remark. Carlisle was over the phone? Carlisle as in Carlisle?

“Carlisle?!” I breathed into it desperately. “Is it really you? Please tell me it’s you!”

I heard a sharp inhale. “Hello?” I asked again. “Is there anyone there? Carlisle?”

“Yes, it’s Carlisle.” I heard a perfect imitation of his voice, but it was an imitation.

“No it isn’t.” I choked, my side splitting open with the pain of loss. But seasoning the pain was gratitude at the universe. Hearing his voice again was something I never thought I would experience again. “Edward.”

“Bella.” He whispered, sounding tortured and grateful at the same time. “I am so sorry.”

But suddenly, the phone was out of my hands, and pressed against Jacob’s ear. Horror swept over me.

“Give me the phone Jacob, dear god GIVE ME THE PHONE!” but he was much taller than me, and the phone was out of reach.

“Hey, bloodsucker, I’ve got a bone to pick with you.” MY best friend hissed into the phone. “Yeah, that’s right, I know who you are. I’m a werewolf, nice to meetcha. And I’ve been taking care of Bella for you, because you weren’t around to do it…AGAINST CRAZED VAMPIRES WHO ARE SET ON KILLING HER! We were just able to get there before Laurent tore into her, and now we are spending day and night hunting Victoria. Nice mess you left for us to clean up!!”

I grabbed at the phone, about to cry. “Jacob, nothing of that is his fault!” I dry-sobbed. “And I told you that if it was too hard to just let her get me!”

“But nothing of that even compares to how much pain you put her through!” He continued, oblivious to me. “She could barely speak for months, and she is still not even close to being the same! She feels like she needs to hold herself together sometimes!” he smirked.

I was crying now, humiliating, loud sobs that filled the room.

“But now, I’m here to hold her together.” He smiled. “She’s my girl now!”

“Jacob for the last time we are just friends and GIVE ME THE DAMN PHONE!” and I leapt up and snatched the phone out of Jacob’s hands.

“Edward!” I wept into the phone. “Are you still there?”

“Bella!” He said, and his sweet voice caressed my ears.

“Edward, I know you don’t care about me anymore, but please don’t hang up!” I begged.

“Bella, I know it’s too late, and I hurt you, but I’m coming home.” He said. “I love you more than anything in the world, I made a huge mistake. I thought….I’ll explain in a few days. I love you, I love you, I love you.”

And then he was gone. The phone slipped out of my hands.

“What a loser!” Jacob muttered. “Bella, you cannot be considering letting him back in your life! He hurt you, left you to face a coven of vicious vampires, and is now saying he wants back! You have got to be kidding! Bella, Bella? What are you thinking, Bells?”

I looked up at him with what I knew were glowing eyes. “He loves me!” was all I said. Jacob groaned.


EPOV

I felt awful pain in my heart, that ripped through my body. Bella couldn’t be dead!

“Hello?” I heard on the other end of the phone. Not Bella’s voice; this was a bad sign.

“It’s…Carlisle.” I answered.

“Jacob give me the phone!” I heard something I thought I would never hear again; Bella’s voice. Over the wave of relief and gratitude towards the world for not taking Bella, I found jealousy spark. Who was Jacob? Why was he at her house? Were they together?

Of course, I had no right to care, either way, but I did. A lot.

“It’s Carlisle.” I heard Jacob say to Bella. God, it felt good to be able to think her name without experiencing pain… “Tell him to tell his son to go to hell.”

Alright, I definitely deserved that. But I had no time to dwell on the fact that I heard envy coming from Jacob’s voice, because then Bella was speaking. I relished in hearing her voice, wishing it would never end.

“Carlisle?” I heard a desperate Bella, a distraught Bella, on the other end. What was wrong with her? Did Jacob hurt her or something? If he had, he would not live to see another night ,and he could count on that…

“Is it really you, please tell me it’s you!” Then, I couldn’t help gasping as a new wave of pain took over me. I knew why she sounded like this; I had hurt her. When I left. She was still upset.

But how could that be? Humans were supposed to heal quickly, and she was supposed to have forgotten all about me by now!

“Hello? Is there anyone there? Carlisle?” I knew I couldn’t tell her that it was me, but I couldn’t hang up. I had missed her voice so much. I just needed to get her talking.

“Yes, it’s Carlisle.” I answered, knowing that no human would be able to tell the difference between my voice and my father’s.

“No, it’s not.” She sounded so sad! I could almost see her face. How could she know it was me? Did she still remember me that much? “Edward.”

How was I supposed to apologize? I destroyed the one perfect thing in my life! “Bella, I am so sorry.” Like that was close to enough!

But then, I heard fumbling, and Bella’s slightly muffled voice. “Give me the phone Jacob, dear god GIVE ME THE PHONE!” I agreed with her, I wanted to apologize for the rest of eternity instead of talking to some guy!

“Hey, bloodsucker, I’ve got a bone to pick with you.” He said, angrily. But then, I realized that he had called me a bloodsucker. What? Had Bella told him?

“Bloodsucker?” I asked.

“Yeah, that’s right, I know who you are. I’m a werewolf, nice to meetcha.” This sunk in. Bella was with a…werewolf? That meant more danger than even a vampire! I had to get home!

“And I’ve been taking care of Bella for you, because you weren’t around to do it…AGAINST CRAZED VAMPIRES WHO ARE SET ON KILLING HER!” What vampires? We were gone!! I was so confused.

“What?” I asked. “Explain everything from the beginning!”

“We were just able to get there before Laurent tore into her, and now we are spending day and night hunting Victoria. Nice mess you left for us to clean up!!” Oh god. Oh god, oh god, oh god! Victoria was trying to kill Bella? NO! I had to get home NOW! Rage engulfed me.

“Jacob, none of that was his fault!” I heard Bella cry in the background. The distraught tone almost cut my open. And of course it was all my fault! “And I told you that if it was too hard to just let her get me!” What? The thought of that caused me too much pain to speak.

“But nothing of that even compares to how much pain you put her through!” He continued, and I wanted so badly to hang up the phone. But even though I was talking to a stupid mutt, Bella was also on the other side. “She could barely speak for months, and she is still not even close to being the same! She feels like she needs to hold herself together sometimes!”

I closed my eyes, realizing how much pain I had put my angel in.

“But now, I’m here to hold her together.” He said, and I realized that it was too late. She was with him, just what I wanted. “She’s my girl now!”

“Jacob for the last time we are just friends and GIVE ME THE DAMN PHONE!” Relief washed over me as I heard the word ‘friends.’

“Edward!” She was saying. “Are you still there?”

“Bella.” I thanked the heavens for this angel.

“Edward, I know you don’t care about me anymore, but please don’t hang up!” She pleaded. Of course I cared about her! what an awful thing I said to her.

“Bella, I know it’s too late, and I hurt you, but I’m coming home.” I decided. There was no way I could stay away any longer. “I love you more than anything in the world, I made a huge mistake. I thought….I’ll explain in a few days. I love you, I love you, I love you.”

I couldn’t say it enough. And then, I hung up, knowing I would be with my angel in only a few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment