Sunday, February 1, 2009

He, She or It?

Written by:xxLilMizCadyxx
You can read the original here:
All credit goes to the original author

It was happening. The change. Bella was writhing in pain, screaming in agony, as the fiery tongues of what would be her destruction ran through her. The venom was severing every vein, every artery, shutting down her organs, assuring that her heart would never beat again.

If I could have cried for her I would.

And as I looked at Edward’s face, I knew he would have too. He was clutching her hand, a look of utter turmoil shadowing his perfect face. He was bent and rocking back and forth on his heels, as Carlisle stood like a Guardian Angel behind him with a cold white hand on his shoulder.

Alice and Jasper were speaking in hushed voices over by one of the vast windows in our mansion. I knew she couldn’t see the baby. It terrified her. Jasper was trying to calm her, trying to calm everyone. I could feel that warm radiance emitting from him.

Emmett was beside me of course, chin rested on my shoulder, not breathing. His face was constricted in pain also.

He thought of Bella as a little sister, and at the moment, his little sister was suffering. And he couldn’t help her.

Esme was pacing, cooing at the little bundle of blankets she held in her arms. The baby was crying, it’s tiny little hands balled into tiny little fists. I forgot momentarily of Bella’s current predicament. Walking slowly and quietly to Esme, I tapped her shoulder.

My mother sighed, smiled weakly and handed the little person to me. My heart melted when I saw her.

Bella had been so sure it was a boy. She was positive. But after all that- this tiny girl. I couldn’t believe it when my old shallow ways came creeping up my spine. I was disgusted at the jealousy I felt for this baby- she was so beautiful.

I shook my blonde hair from my eyes and looked into her huge brown ones. Bella. They were wide and staring, and she wasn’t crying anymore.

She had little copper ringlets on her head and a face that looked like it had been painted by Michelangelo. Edward.

I smiled at her, my slightly pointed pearly white teeth flashing at her. The baby smiled at that.

“RENESMEE!” Bella was screaming. Her voice was a screech, and it hurt my overly sensitive ears. Alice cringed and saw the baby in my arms. She narrowed her eyes.

I knew what she was thinking, even if I wasn’t Edward- she thought I was going to do everything in my power to take the baby from Bella and Edward.

I thought about it.

I wasn’t going to.

“It’s alright, Bells, Rosalie has her,” the dog murmured. I hadn’t noticed him. Yuck, I was getting used to the smell. Bella screeched again, and Renesmee made a little whimpering noise in my arms.

“Oh no, hush, baby, it’s Auntie Rose,” I whispered, bending my head so my hair tickled the baby’s little dimpled cheeks.

“I WANT RENESMEE!” Bella hollered. Edward looked sick. He clutched her hand tighter.

“She’s alright, Bella, I promise. I can see her now. Don’t worry, love, the pain will be gone soon, I promise. I promise…” Edward trailed off, and Carlisle bent down too. He went close to Bella as she yelled harder. He didn’t flinch.

“Bella. Renesmee is safe. Don’t worry, nothing will happen to her. We’re all here, and we’re all together. Alice and Jasper. Emmett and Rose. Esme and Jacob are here too, my darling. Edward will not let go of your hand. Listen to me,” Carlisle’s voice was like a hot soothing bath, steeped in consideration and comfort. He brushed Bella’s sweat drenched forehead, and petted her brown curls.

She let out an ear-splitting yelp.

“IT HURTS! PLEASE, EDWARD, KILL ME!” I clutched the baby tighter. Alice was by Edward’s side now, patting his back. Esme, Jasper and Emmett went closer too, and all held hands, it seemed, in silent prayer.

The dog stayed at the head of the sofa, making soft whimpering noises and stroking Bella’s hair. I went closer, but Carlisle shook his head.

Right. I was holding Renesmee. If Bella smelt her, it would drive her crazy. The baby also seemed distraught at her mother’s agony.

I walked slowly up the stairs, cradling her and bouncing her slightly.

I came to myself and Emmett’s room, and took Renesmee out onto out balcony.

Bella’s screams were still clearly audible.

I don’t believe in God. I don’t agree with Carlisle about life after death for vampires, but at the same time, I don’t agree with Edward about us not having souls. We do. I know it.

I wasn’t religious during my life either, but as I stood there on my balcony, gazing out at the forest beyond, holding Renesmee Cullen to my chest I realised that despite what I’d always thought, that she was truly a Miracle sent by He, She or It. I looked up at the heavens.

How ironic. The day that Bella died, left her true life behind, the sun was shining brighter than it ever had in Forks. The beams of light hit me and I felt my skin ripple, as it’s true nature became exposed. The baby made a little noise.

“Hm, do you like it?” I smiled at her. Renesmee smiled, a bright intelligent smile, as if she knew exactly what I had said. She wasn’t made of diamonds like me, but she was shimmering softly, radiating happiness.

She was breathtaking.

And then I prayed.

“Dear God, if you can hear me now… Hi. I guess I’ve never been all that religious before at any stage in my… existence? But I am now. So, how’s it going? Me? Well, my life just got sooo much more complicated. You hear that? That screaming? Yeah, of course you do. Sounds like she’s dying a pretty painful death, doesn’t it? Well, she is. According to all the myths and legends, I’m supposed to be a child of Satan almost, but you can’t pray to him,” I spoke, as the baby clutched my golden locks in her little fists.

“So, I’m asking- no, really God, I’m begging. Look at this little Miracle,” I held Renesmee up in the sunlight. If she could have, she would have blinded me. “That’s her mother down there, changing. Into one of us. A vampire. She’s like a sister to me. She is a sister to me, to all of us. I love her, and I love her husband, that tortured soul down there, staying by her side, going against her wishes for the only time in his life. She wants him to kill her. And he’s too damn caught up in his own mind about You, that he won’t pray.

“So, here I am. Save her. Save him. I don’t care if she’s vampire or if she’s a human or even if she’s one of those dogs. Just make sure, for me, that both of them can watch this beautiful Miracle grow and thrive. Please, don’t hurt my precious family. Or Renesmee’s.”

I finished, and stroked Renesmee’s tiny cherubic face. She giggled and put her little hand forth to touch my chalky white cheekbone. As she did, I saw Bella, the only memory that Renesmee had of her, screaming. Then, I saw Edward, brighter than ever in her head, looking at her with so much wonder in his eyes. I saw my whole family and I saw myself on the balcony, through Renesmee’s eyes. She thought I was the most beautiful thing on the face of the Earth.

She retracted her hand and smiled at me, her eyes repeating what I had just seen. I gasped, breath taken.

She was Gifted too.

I smiled back at her.

“Thank you, darling. But you are the single most beautiful thing I have ever encountered in my almost 80 years. You are so special,” I nuzzled my nose to Renesmee’s and she let out a giggle like the tinkering of silver bells at Christmas.

I turned to go back into my room, and through one last glance up at the sky, as I heard Bella stop screaming, and ask Edward in a pain ridden voice to play Clair de Lune on the piano for her.

I knew he wouldn’t leave her side, so I (being the second best musician in the house) went down stairs to dutifully do as she requested. Smiling at myself, I knew that He, She or It was smiling too.

“The name’s Rosalie Cullen, by the way,” I said. Renesmee nodded her head, and touched my face showing me what she wanted. I smiled.

“Renesmee says thank-you.”

No comments:

Post a Comment